James Gallagher Believes Patchy Mix Will 'Push' And 'Test' Him At Bellator 270: 'I'm The Diamond'

Mandatory Credit: Bellator MMA


Surging Bellator MMA bantamweight contender, James 'The Strabanimal' Gallagher has admitted that he believes fellow streaking division challenger, Patchy 'No Love' Mix will test and push him to his limit this weekend at Bellator 270 at the 3Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

Gallagher, who recently made the permanent switch from Straight Blast Gym to GLORY MMA & Fitness in Missouri under the tutelage of head coach, James Krause, is slated to take co-headlining honors this Friday evening in his return to Dublin -- clashing with one-time Bellator bantamweight title chaser, Mix in a potential title-eliminator.

In the midst of an impressive four-fight undefeated run, the 11-1 Gallagher last featured in October of last year at Bellator Euro Series 9 in Milan, Italy -- handing Sunderland grappler, Cal Ellenor a first round rear-naked choke loss.

Following the bout, Gallagher was immediately linked to a showdown with Mix -- with the pair both verbally agreeing to meet each other. 

The month prior to Gallagher's opening round submission victory, New York-born finisher Mix had headlined Bellator 246, suffering a unanimous decision loss to former bantamweight champion, Juan Archuleta in a vacant title clash. The loss came as Mix's first professionally. 

The two were then slated to settle their differences in May of this year at Bellator 258, until Gallagher was forced from the bout with Mix remaining on the card -- stopping Albert Morales with a third round arm-triangle finish.

Now slated to take co-headlining honors this weekend in the capital, Gallagher maintains that he has no personal animosity toward Mix -- and insists that while he will likely push him to his limit on Friday, he claimed that the #3 ranked contender is the perfect mechanism to shine him as a diamond.

"You have him [Patchy Mix], Cal Ellenor, Chinzo Machida -- they're the top, they're at the top if you know what I mean,' Gallagher told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour this evening. "Cal's a physically bigger, harder-hitting, stronger opponent than I would say Patchy [Mix] is a little less than that and a bit more technical."

"He'll definitely test me," Gallagher said. "He's definitely, 100 percent gonna test me -- I don't know if it's gonna go 15 minutes, but he'll definitely test me, he's gonna push me. And he's gonna make me shine so he is. He's going to make me shine, I'm the diamond, he's just gonna polish me so he is. He's the dance partner I know I need in here on Friday night to show the world that I'm great. That's what he is to me. He's the man that's going to show the world how great I am. So I'm not looking past him -- I've no animosity against him. I've got no feelings -- I'm chasing greatness."

Prior to last year's submission victory over Ellenor, the 25-year-old Gallagher stopped both Roman Salazar and Steven Graham with first round submissions -- in between a unanimous decision victory over Jeremiah Labiano. 

Comments