Anthony Smith Reveals He Was Offered Jan Blachowicz Fight Hours After UFC 267

Mandatory Credit: Mike Roach - Zuffa LLC


Set to miss out on a proposed December 18. rematch with light heavyweight contender, Aleksandar Rakic due to a knee injury -- one-time division title challenger, Anthony Smith has revealed that the UFC offered him a bout with former division best, Jan Blachowicz just hours after the Pole's title loss to Glover Teixeira at UFC 267 on the weekend.

Smith, who is in the midst of a three-fight winning spree, last featured at UFC Vegas 37 in September, stopping Ryan Spann in the first round with an impressive, one-sided rear-naked choke win. The stoppage earned Smith a Performance of the Night bonus.

Immediately following his victory, Smith called for a rematch with fellow contender, Rakic in December -- which the Austrian-born challenger appeared to welcome, however, he revealed that a knee injury, which led to a staph infection, has likely put the ultimate kibosh on the matchup.

"Long story short, I end up having a lot more problems after the scope and got staph infection in the joint," Smith told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour. "Now I'm on IV antibiotic for another month, then I have to to back in."

"It was a disaster," Smith said. "For a routine, regular two or three days down and back on my feet. That was two and a half, three weeks ago that I had the original scope. I think three weeks ago. I just now got off crutches two days ago."

Smith explained that his timeline for a likely Octagon return could be from February to April of next year, as well as claiming the promotion offered him a bout with Blachowicz, just hours after the former champion's title loss on Saturday.

"I'm kind of liking this Jan Blachowicz fight," Smith said. "[The UFC] brought it to me that night/ He wants to fight again. He wants to fight soon. I'm not crazy injured. I'm just dealing with a little stuff, infections, so I mean as long as we can get this infection cleared up, I don't think February's out of the question." (H/T MMA Fighting)

Prior to his submission win over Spann in September, the Nebraska veteran scored a first round doctor's stoppage win over Jimmy Crute at UFC 261 in April after the Australian suffered drop foot -- which followed a triangle submission win over Devin Clark. 

Comments