UFC, Bellator Veteran Paul Redmond Confirms Retirement From Professional MMA Competition

Mandatory Credit: Lucas Noonan - Bellator MMA


Dublin native, Paul 'Redser' Redmond -- an alum of both the UFC and Bellator MMA has confirmed his retirement from professional mixed martial arts career, closing the book on a storied professional run that began all the way back in May 2011 -- and snapped the course of 24 fights.

Redmond, 35, last competed professionally in February of last year at Bellator 220 at the 3Arena in his native Dublin, Ireland -- suffering a second round guillotine defeat against the veteran finisher, Georgi Karakhanyan. 

The Team Ryano trainee and Andy Ryan student released a lengthy post on his official Instagram tonight confirming that he had called time on his professional mixed martial arts career of almost 12 years.

"I was just gonna fade off into the background and not mention it but a lot of people keep asking me "when am I out again next" & I always say, 'Ah, soon' etc," Redmond posted. "But the truth is your probably not going to see me do my thing in an MMA cage again."

"I've thought long and hard about this, talked to the big lad @coach_andyryan_ my family etc. & I think now is a good a time as ever to step away from MMA. 25 pro fights, a full amateur caeeer, but the injuries are starting to mount up every fight camp and I haven't made the last 2 fights because of them."

"Along with other stuff I have going on in my life with work etc. The time to put into fight camps the way I used to and fight the way I do isn't there. Also losing the love of it and financially it not making sense there's nothing I have left to give the sport."

"If it wasn't for the big lad @coach_andyryan_ I'd still be kicking rocks the man pushed me to height I never knew existed & I'll be forever grateful."

"I never made the biggest impact in MMA but I never said no to ANYONE & always foguth whoever they put in front of me on a day, week, month's notice.... think anyone who came to see me fight knew what they were getting and enjoyed, to all my teammates, training partners, & friends I I've (sic) met throughout the years you've made the last 13 years unforgettable so thanks for that memories."

Retiring boasting a 15-8 professional record, Redmond competed under the banners of the aforenoted, UFC and Bellator MMA, as well as Cage Warriors, KSW, BAMMA, and Clan Wars to name a few. 

Throughout the course of his career, Redmond holds an amateur victory over The Ultimate Fighter finalist, Artem Lobov, as well as notable professional triumphs against the likes of Philip Mulpeter, Lewis Long, Ryan Roddy, Alexei Roberts, Marc Allen, Damien Brown, Alexis Savvidis, Chris Stringer, Rob Sinclair, Lukasz Chlewicki, and Charlie Leary to name a few. A renowned finisher, Redmond lodged five knockout wins to go with a further five submission stoppage successes. 

As noted by Redmond in his post on Instagram, a slew of recent injuries forced him from two of his last four scheduled bouts, including a fractured tibia which prevented a bout with Brandon Girtz, as well as a setback that prevented a scheduled Cage Warriors return in June against France's, Mehdi Ben Lakhdhar. 

Redmond is one of 13 fighters from the Island of Ireland to compete for the UFC -- competing twice under the banner of the North American-based organization, and is widely considered a pioneer of the sport in hsi native country. 

Comments