Valentina Shevchenko Eyes Trilogy Clash With Amanda Nunes

Jeff Bottari-Zuffa LLC
The narrow nature of Nunes' second triumph leaves this potential trilogy wide open.

Ahead of her main event clash this weekend at UFC Fight Night Montevideo against Liz Carmouche, reigning flyweight best Valentina 'Bullet' Shevchenko has told of her future intentions to face former foe Amanda Nunes for a third time. Unable to relieve Nunes of championship status during their second bantamweight meeting, Shevchenko finally realized Octagon gold a division lower at 125 pounds.  Since their rematch, Nunes has since defended twice against Raquel Pennington and Holly Holm, in between claiming the featherweight crown and 'champ champ' footing against compatriot Cris Cyborg.

Shevchenko has the opportunity to avenge an earlier career loss against Carmouche this weekend, and sometime in the future, expects to meet Nunes once again to avenge her other only professional flaw. Shevchenko had the following words for Brazilian outlet Ag Fight. "I'm focused on defending my title in August and making a successful title defense. We'll see what happens, I spent a long time with that rivalry with Amanda and I think our third fight will happen someday. Now I'm focused on defending my flyweight title but we'll see what the future holds. I'm focused on my division, It doesn't matter what she thinks or what I think. I know that trilogy will happen at some point."

Nunes and Shevchenko first clashed at UFC 196 in a unanimous decision showing, outpointing and out-grappling the Krygyzstan native over three rounds. A year and a half later, Shevchenko had earned a rematch with Nunes, this time with championship gold up for spoils. In a much closer clash this time over five rounds, A single judge, Tony Weeks scored the bout 28-27 in favor of Shevchenko in a razor-thin split decision loss.

Requests:markeyross198.RM@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts This Week!