Kamaru Usman: Ten Times Out Of Ten, I Beat Jorge Masvidal Badly

Mandatory Credit: Jeff Bottari - Zuffa LLC


Speculation continues to mount regarding a potential UFC welterweight title rematch between Kamaru Usman and rival, Jorge Masvidal, but as far as the incumbent titleholder is concerned, he'd beat the BMF champion "badly" if pitted with him ten times.

Following the third successful defence of his 170-pound throne at UFC 258 last weekend, Usman immediately noted his interest in standing opposite Floridian veteran, Masvidal in a rematch -- claiming he'd leave him no excuses following his six-day unanimous decision victory at UFC 251 on 'Fight Island' last July. 

Besting former Sanford MMA teammate and consensus sternest challenger to date, Gilbert Burns with a third round knockout stoppage, Usman turned in a record-setting performance, becoming the most streaking welterweight in promotional antiquity. Surpassing former two-weight world champion, Georges St-Pierre -- Usman lodged his thirteenth consecutive Octagon victory.

Linked with an appearance against Masvidal as opposing coaches on an upcoming reboot of The Ultimate Fighter on ESPN, Usman originally drew the former on short-notice in Abu Dhabi, UAE last summer -- taking home a relatively comfortable 50-45 unanimous decision win on two of the three judge's scorecards.

Speaking with ESPN MMA reporter, Brett Okamoto following Saturday's stoppage win over Niteroi native, Burns, Usman claimed that deep down inside, Masvidal knows he hasn't got the tools to dethrone him. And if the pair were pitted together on ten occasions, he'd put a bad beating on the American Top Team staple each time.

"It's not that he (Jorge Masvidal) think's he can't beat me, he knows he can't beat me -- he knows he can't beat me," Usman said. "There's just certain guys that you just know, you just know like, 'Goddam, I can't beat that dude' -- I can't.'"

"He just doesn't have the skills to beat me," Usman continued. "Now, can a freak accident happen on any given day? Absolutely. But ten times out of ten, I beat him bad -- badly. Which is why I haven't looked at him, 'cause it's my show -- I pick who I wanna fight at this point."

Holding some certain animosity following his July victory over Masvidal, Usman detailed how a "sour taste" was left in his mouth with how Masvidal and his team dealt with the defeat, and how he now feels he's got to "put him in the ground for good."

"I just didn't like the way that -- with all the circumstances I had to deal with going into that fight and how that fight went, it kinda left a sour taste in my mouth and with all the sh*t that they were talking, it left a sour taste in my mouth, to where I think I need to put him in the ground for good."

Earning his shot at Usman's championship, Masvidal had enjoyed a career resurgence in 2019 -- besting Darren Till in March, Ben Askren in July via a record-setting five-second flying-knee, and Nate Diaz in November to claim the BMF title -- before dropping his decision loss to the incumbent gold holder.


Comments

Popular Posts This Week!