Ian Garry Eyes Mike Perry In Potential UFC Debut: I'd F*cking Ruin Him

Mandatory Credit: Dolly Clew - Cage Warriors & Chris Unger - Zuffa LLC


Ahead of his Cage Warriors welterweight championship challenge against former lightweight title chaser, Jack Grant, surging undefeated standout, Ian 'The Future' Garry has suggested a potential UFC debut outing against the brash, polarizing striker, 'Platinum' Mike Perry. 

Improving to 6-0 as a professional last weekend at Cage Warriors 121 as part of the promotion's Trilogy of events at York Hall, Garry secured his fifth consecutive finish, stopping UFC alum, Rostem Akman with a second round highlight-reel high kick. 

The outing marked Swedish-born finisher, Akman's first under the Graham Boylan led promotion's banner, following a two-fight stint with the UFC where he came up short against both Sergey Khandozhko, and Australian promotional mainstay, Jake Matthews.

Progressing to the final bracket to challenge for vacant welterweight spoils in June, Tom King and Chris Fields product, Garry will feature against the above mentioned, 17-6 Grant in the finale, who booked his place with a second round anaconda stoppage over Latvia's, Madars Fleminas on the same card.

With eyes firmly planted on lifting undisputed welterweight gold under the Cage Warriors banner this summer in just his seventh professional fight, Garry has explained how he'll speak with his team, friends, and family to gauge their opinion on his next move if the UFC comes calling following his June outing. 

Whilst weighing up his options beyond June, the 23-year-old Dubliner floated a possible Octagon debut against Michigan puncher, Perry -- claiming he'd "f*cking ruin" the fourteen-fight UFC veteran. 

"I know it sounds hilarious, but I'd love to fight Wonderboy (Stephen Thompson), like I'd love to fight Colby (Covington), like these guys, but they're (the UFC) are never gonna give me them," Garry said during a recent interview on The Bash with reporters, Peter Carroll and Niall McGrath. "Gimme a Mike Perry. I'd f*cking ruin Mike Perry."

"Wonderboy won't happen, obviously 'cause he's in the top-ten like he's great," Garry said. "Mike Perry could happen because, the chap's lost his f*cking mind let's be honest. He'd be dumb enough to take a fight like that as well, he'd be like, 'Yeah, I'll fight anybody'. Shut up, you're (Perry) a thick."

While calling for a matchup with Perry, Garry has explained that whoever stands opposite him in his potential UFC debut, he'll "fold them".

"Honestly, like actually, lads, I don't care -- anyone who's gonna have a platform, that when I beat them, that's gonna excel my career again, then that's all I need," Garry explained. "And I'm gonna go in there and do it, it doesn't matter who it's against. I'm going to fold them like I'm walking into the UFC and I'm 100% leaving with a 50k bonus."

"Like, every fight I've fought in, I would get a bonus in because it's the way I fight," Garry said. "I'm there to put on statements -- put on performances because no matter what -- Jordan Vucenic has said it to me now twice, he's gone, 'You've done it again, how are we supposed to beat that?' I'm like, (shrugs shoulders), off you go, it's not my job for you's to try and beat me, I'm my job to try and beat you's. And I do it every time. Yeah, I don't care, I really couldn't care less. Once Dana (White), or once Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard say, 'This is a great fight against a good guy.' I'm like, I really don't care, once he's unbeaten or once he's got a really solid record, and I go in there and make a show of him, and people are like, 'Alright, this kid is legit.' Someone like -- Mason Jones fought Mike Davis. I want someone like that, of that caliber, that good, in my division and I'll be very happy."

Scoring his sixth professional victory against the above-mentioned, Akman, Garry has also bested James Sheehan, Matteo Ceglia, Mateusz Figlak, George McManus, and Lawrence Tracey.

Booked for his Octagon return on April 10th. at UFC on ABC 2, 29-year-old Flint native, Perry clashes with Californian striker, Daniel Rodriguez, attempting to return to winning ways after a unanimous decision defeat to division veteran, Tim Means at UFC 255 in November -- tipping the 170-pound scales at 175.5-pounds in the process. 

Comments