Ian Garry Confirms Split From Team KF Ahead Of Cage Warriors Welterweight Title Fight

Mandatory Credit; Cage Warriors


Portmarnock-born Cage Warriors standout, Ian 'The Future' Garry has confirmed that he has parted ways with long-term, Dublin-based outfit, Team KF Martial Arts under the tutelage of Chris Fields and Tom King, ahead of his vacant Cage Warriors welterweight title fight against Jack Grant this weekend at York Hall.

Garry, undefeated as a professional mixed martial artist, boasts a 6-0 record, and this weekend at Cage Warriors 125, headlines opposite former lightweight title challenger, Grant with the promotion's vacant welterweight crown up for grabs.

Earning his slot in the vacant title outing following the vacating of recent UFC welterweight mover, Mason Jones, Garry turned in a second round high-kick stoppage of UFC alum, Rostem Akman back in March of this year at Cage Warriors 121. 

During the course of this week, speculation has been rife that Garry had split from long-time outfit, Team KF -- which is headed up by former Cage Warriors middleweight champion, Fields, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu standout, King, and ahead of his title tilt with Grant this weekend, the 23-year-old appeared during an interview with Severe MMA reporter, Sean Sheehan -- where he remained coy when questioned about speculation regarding a potential split from the team.

"I suppose you've heard some stuff, yeah," Garry responded when questioned by Sheehan. "But, I'll let my words come out in the Octagon. I'll go in there, I'll do my job, I'll put in my performance. And then I'll speak afterwards and everyone will know then. But for me, I've got a job to do and I'm tunnel-visioned and I'm focused on what needs to be done."

With speculation mounting this evening regarding his status with Team KF, Garry took to his official Instagram where he posted a story, detailing how he would be releasing a statement soon regarding his status with the team, claiming "others" have already been informing media outlets.

In a statement released in the last hour, Garry confirmed that he had split from Team KF -- claiming that the team "abruptly" chose to stop supporting him.

"Just ten days out of (from) my world title fight, Team KF Martial Arts abruptly stepped down and they chose to no longer support me," Garry's statement read. "I am therefore no longer part of that team. I have remained focused on my fight -- only one party has been talking and it's not me. I believe my actions will speak volumes when I prove myself right yet again on Saturday night."

"I am excited to step into the Octagon, I feel blessed with the abundance of opportunity put in front of me, I am grateful to all those that stepped up to help me and I look forward to a gold belt and a new journey," Garry's statement concluded.




Comments