Video - Chris Weidman Reflects On Leg Fracture, Apologises To Anderson Silva

Mandatory Credit: Josh Hedges - Zuffa LLC


Former UFC middleweight champion, Chris Weidman has hosted the first episode of his new podcast, titled, Won't Back Down -- and featured two-time foe and former middleweight titleholder, Anderson Silva as his first guest, where he reflected on his gruesome compound leg fracture suffered in April, as well as issuing an apology to Silva for how he dealt with the aftermath of the Brazilian's hugely similar leg fracture back in December of 2013.

Featuring on the main card of UFC 261 in April at the Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida -- former 185lbs champion, Weidman suffered a ghastly compound fracture of his right tibia and fibula just 18-seconds into the first round of his rematch with Uriah Hall.

Launching a blistering right low kick, Weidman saw the significant strike checked by Spanish Town native, Hall, resulting in the fracture, before he returned to his stance and attempted to put his weight back onto his right leg, which ultimately gave way under his weight, resulting in a brutal compound fracture.

Undergoing successful surgery the following morning, in which a titanium rod was inserted through his right knee, the Baldwin native returned home where he is currently rehabbing the injury, and undergoing physical therapy, which has resulted in him walking without the aid of crutches or any form of support for the first time since the shocking injury.

Featuring with fellow former middleweight champion, Silva on his next podcast, Won't Back Down -- Weidman reflected on his injury.

"Really, the first thing that popped into my head, when I broke my leg, as soon as I hit the ground, well, as soon as I looked at my leg and seen it flop around -- the first thing that went in my head was, 'I cannot believe this' -- I thought about you (Silva), I thought about you, 'this is Anderson Silva'," Weidman said to Silva. "Like, my leg looked like Anderson Silva's, like 'what in the hell, there's no way that's my leg right now'. And it's like, then all of a sudden, the pains coming in."

"To be honest, I've never really said this out loud, and it's been on my mind really since this happened, but I wanna apologise to you, because, there's been times where -- I remember afterward, I felt terrible and everything. But, you know, our fights were so crazy and everything

Apologising to Silva, revealing that he had been asked by fans to pose in pictures in which he checked an attempted leg kick akin to his second fight with Silva in which the Brazilian suffered a fracture of his right tibia and fibula, and after some initial hesitation, took part in the pictures. 

"I remember right afterward I was doing all these fan meet-and-greets, we did some together a bunch of times which were great experiences," Weidman continued. "But I remember fans would want me to take pictures, with me, checking a leg kick and I remember at first saying, 'No, no, no, I'm not doing that, it's disrespectful, that's disrespectful' And as time went on and whatever, I would do it. I would take pictures like that. And that bothers me inside, because, going through what I'm going through -- the pain his family had to go through, just the long road it took to get back and then being able to speak to you. You could have been a real (expletive) about this situation."

As Weidman continues his road to recovery, with plans firmly in place to make another Octagon appearance in the future, Silva competes in his third professional boxing match this weekend in Jalisco, Mexico as he clashes with former WBC middleweight champion, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in the headlining bout on a Tribute To The Kings pay-per-view event. 

Comments