Michael 'Venom' Page: I Definitely See Myself Going To The UFC

Mandatory Credit: Lucas Noonan - Bellator MMA


Streaking Bellator welterweight contender, Michael 'Venom' Page has spent the majority of his professional career under the Scott Coker-led Bellator MMA banner, and has almost become the face of the promotion in recent years, however, he's claimed he's definitely considering a run in the UFC before he calls time on his professional career.

The #2 ranked welterweight contender has embarked on a five-fight rise since his first professional loss to current division champion, Douglas Lima back in May of 2019 -- most recently besting Derek Anderson with a highlight-reel first round doctor's stoppage after he landed a flying knee which broke Anderson's nose. The victory propelled Page to the #2 rank in the official Bellator rankings, despite the fact three of his last five triumphs have come at 175lbs catchweight pairings.

Briefly linked to the UFC over the course of his career, the London-born karate practitioner explained that he wasn't on the best of terms with Bellator ahead of his May 7th. knockout victory over Anderson, however, those issues seem to have been smoothed out since then. 

With the abovementioned, Lima set to attempt a welterweight title defence on June 11th. at Bellator 260 against the #1 ranked Ukrainian standout, Yaroslav Amosov, Page is in prime position it would appear to receive a title shot in his next walk under the promotion's banner, however, maintains that he's got sights set on a move to the UFC in the future.

"I enjoy Bellator," Page said during a recent appearance on the Believe You Me podcast with UFC Hall of Famer and former middleweight champion, Michael Bisping and comedian Luis J. Gomez. "I enjoy where I'm at and I enjoy my success so far, but I definitely feel like I need to touch the UFC at some point and just test myself there as well."

"There are some great matches to be made over there so I definitely think in the future -- I don't know when -- obviously I'm contracted to being in Bellator, and I've got some goals to achieve there as well," Page continued. "I feel like I'm close to doing that. But until then, I definitely still see myself going (to the UFC in the future)."

Page went on to explain that the reason he initially made the transition from sport karate to professional mixed martial arts, was to eventually reach the UFC.

"If I'm being honest, when I first started, the only reason I (started MMA) was to go to the UFC," Page said. "That's the biggest thing and it's obviously still one of the biggest (organizations)."

"There's a lot of shows popping up, but in general -- especially when I was started -- anybody that was getting into MMA, their goal was to get to the UFC," Page explained. "The majority of people are still the same."

From twenty professional outings, Page has managed to score a 19-1 record, with his sole loss in that run coming via a stunning knockout defeat to the above-mentioned, Lima. The 34-year-old London Shootfighters trainee has managed notable career successes against the likes of Evangelista Santos, Fernando Gonzalez, Paul Daley, Ross Houston, and the above-noted, Anderson. 

Comments