UFC Welterweight Alan Jouban Confirms His Immediate Retirement From MMA

Mandatory Credit: Jeff Bottari - Zuffa LLC


UFC welterweight contender, Alan 'Brahma' Jouban has announced his official retirement from professional mixed martial arts competition -- with immediate effect.

Jouban, 37, has competed twenty-four times professionally, establishing a 17-7 record, appearing thirteen times under the UFC's banner.

The Lafayette, Louisana native has transitioned to the broadcast desk in recent years, appearing frequently during both Fox Sports and ESPN broadcasts alongside the likes of Megan Olivi, Chael Sonnen, and Michael Chiesa on occasion. 

Taking an eighteen-month hiatus from professional mixed martial arts, Jouban last featured at UFC 255 in November of last year at the UFC Apex facility, scoring a unanimous decision victory over Jared Gooden as the card's featured early preliminary bout. 

Releasing a statement on his official Twitter account, Jouban confirmed his retirement from the sport, citing his interest to focus on his broadcast career.

"I'd like to officially announce my retirement from MMA," Jouban tweeted. "Fighting and the @ufc have given me everything I have today! I would not change a single thing from my journey because I got to live my dream and not know what was next."

"My coaches, my teammates, those of you that were apart of this, I appreciate you so much!" Jouban continued. "Thank you to my supporters and even my opponents along the way. Injuries, age, and life have shown me that it's time. If I can't compete to my fullest, then I won't."

"So I'll focus my time now on broadcasting where I can still share my passion and knowledge for the sport with with (sic) everyone at home," Jouban continued. "Thank you to everyone for all the love over the years. I look forward to becoming a staple in the sport from this end now as well."

 


Earning Fight of the Night honours four times under the UFC's banner, Jouban has bested the likes of Seth Baczynski, Belal Muhammad, Mike Perry, Ben Saunders, and the above-mentioned, Gooden during his promotional stint -- notching an eye-catching eleven knockout successes across his career. 

Comments