Dana White Unsure If He's Willing To Rebook Retirement Fight For Diego Sanchez

Mandatory Credit: Josh Hedges - Zuffa LLC


Despite the fact that the controversial manager and head coach of Diego Sanchez, Joshua Fabia is out of the corner of the Albuquerque native, UFC president Dana White is still unsure about the possibility of resigning the veteran, and rescheduling a retirement fight for him.

Originally scheduled to make what he had donned his last professional walk, Sanchez was pitted opposite former Jackson-Wink MMA teammate, Donald Cerrone at UFC Vegas 26 earlier this month, however, he was pulled from the event and subsequently released from the promotion after neither Fabia nor his attorney complied with requests to confirm whether or not Sanchez was suffering from short or long-term health issues. 

What led to the request for confirmation was a conversation, which had been leaked on the Albuquerque native's Instagram account, between the UFC's Chief Business Officer and lawyer, Hunter Campbell, and Fabia, after concern was raised when Fabia had requested Sanchez's entire medical history from his 16-year stint with the organization.

Sanchez had confirmed last week that he had cut ties with Fabia in a professional regard, ending his services as a manager, coach, and attorney, which resulted in the latter speaking publicly about his relationship with the former lightweight title challenger, and making a series of accusations toward the New Mexico native. 

UFC president, Dana White recently explained that Sanchez could call him at any time if he needed something following his split from Fabia, despite recent claims from Sanchez himself that he had tried to organize a meeting with White for two years to no avail.

I haven't really paid attention to any of that," White said in relation to Sanchez's split from Fabia. "I don't care what that guy (Joshua Fabia) says. This is one of those things, I was just telling the media the other day, every time you guys ask me about the Triller guys. It's like, come on, you want a reaction from me. That's what you're looking for."

"I feel the same way about this kid (Fabia)," White explained. "All you guys know this kid's batsh*t nuts and whatever. If Diego (Sanchez) needs me, just like the last however many years, Diego's never been that needy guy. I did see where he came out and said, 'I've been trying to talk to Dana...' -- Diego Sanchez can pick up the phone and call me. Any of those TUF kids."

With the controversial and highly criticized Fabia out of the picture, White still remains coy if he would be open to offering Sanchez a one-fight deal to grant him his retirement bout.

"I don't know," White said during a recent interview with Yahoo! Sports reporter, Kevin Iole. "I honestly don't know. Even when we were doing his farewell fight (against Cerrone), I didn't love the fact that he's still fighting. No matter what I do, if I let Diego go, he'll probably end up somewhere else. You know what I mean? That's what I was thinking at the time. I love the kid. He wanted one more fight, (and) I was going to give it to him. Then all hell broke loose, and here we are today."

Comments