Jon Jones releases statement following DWI guilty plea

Photo Credit: Jeff Bottari - Zuffa LLC

Reigning UFC 205-pound champion, Jon Jones, has released an official statement regarding his arrest for DWI (driving while intoxicated), negligent use of a firearm, possession of an open container, and failure to provide proof of insurance on March 26th. last.

The Jackson-Wink MMA mainstay entered a plea deal on Tuesday morning, where he agreed to one-year supervised probation for DWI - resulting in the other three charges being dropped. As part of the agreement, which is yet to be officially signed off by a judge ahead of an April 8th. hearing, Jones has agreed to the following terms. He will be placed under four-days house arrest, will pay a $500 fine, must complete forty-eight hours of community service, install an ignition interlock on all his vehicles, and lastly, complete a ninety-day treatment outpatient programme.

In his first public address since his arrest in the early hours of last Thursday morning, Jones told how he was disappointed to find himself as the "source of a negative headline again".

"While we all work to understand and cope with stress and uncertainties surrounding the current state of our world, I want to express how truly disappointed I am that I have become the source of a negative headline again, especially during these trying times. I am disappointed for letting down the people that I care about the most, my family, my friends and my fans. This morning I entered a plea deal with the Albuquerque DA's office. I accept full responsibility for my actions and I know that I have some personal work to do to (sic) which involves the unhealthy relationship I have with alcohol. I have dedicated so much time and energy to improve my community and I will not allow this personal setback to hinder my work within the community when we need it most. I truly appreciate the support I have received from the community of Albuquerque and all my fans around the world. I very much look forward to putting this behind me. Thanks (sic) you all for your continued love and support and please take care of yourselves."

Jones recent run-in with law enforcement marks the third vehicular issue Jones has been involved in, in recent years. The Rochester native crashed his Bentley Continental GT into a telephone pole back in 2012 in New York and was arrested for DUI (driving under the influence), In that incident, Jones had his driver's license suspended for a period of six months. 

The two-time light heavyweight champion was also involved in a hit-and-run incident with a pregnant woman in 2015 when he ran a red light at an intersection and his rented Buick SUV collided with a car. Jones fled the scene of the incident before returning to the vehicle where he retrieved a sum of money before taking off on foot once more. After an arrest warrant was filed, Jones turned himself in to police. The 32-year-old, who had been booked to headline UFC 187 against Anthony Johnson, was stripped of the light heavyweight title off the back of the incident. 

Jones last competed at UFC 247 in February last, narrowly escaping Texas with the light heavyweight championship following a close back-and-forth with perennial contender, Dominick Reyes. 

Comments