Edson Barboza seemingly calls for UFC release

Photo Credit: Jeff Haynes - Associated Press

Brazilian Muay Thai practitioner, Edson 'Junior' Barboza - has seemingly asked Dana White and Sean Shelby to release him from his UFC contract. The Florida-based striker recently dropped a rematch defeat to Paul Felder in a controversial decision, with the American Top Team trainee rumoured to test featherweight waters in his next outing. According to a post on his official Twitter account - it seems Barboza is rethinking that decision, and his future in both the promotion and the sport.

The 34-year-old posted on Saturday evening, thanking the promotion for his prior ten years in the lightweight ranks, but also asked promotion president, White, and matchmaker, Shelby, to "let me go".

"I'm very thankful for these almost 10 years that I have been working for the company! I gave my best every single fight to put on a show for the fans, but I think it's time to move on. I don't have more time to wait. Please let me go. @ufc @seanshelby @danawhite"


The Nova Friburgo native has dropped four of his last five Octagon walks - with a vintage display against recent-riser, Dan Hooker coming as his only victory in the prior three years. Barboza managed fourteen victories in the organization. The always entertaining kicker has amassed an incredible seven Fight of the Night honours, and became the first to score a wheel-kick knockout in the promotion - via a stoppage of Terry Etim back in 2012.

Twitter
Instagram

Comments