Katlyn Chookagian Tells Of Pre-Fight Nerves Ahead Of UFC 247

Photo Credit: Josh Hedges - Zuffa LLC
Katlyn Chookagian attempts to become the new queen of the flyweight's this weekend at UFC 247.

This Saturday in Houston, Texas - perennial flyweight challenger, Katlyn 'Blonde Fighter' Chookagian receives her first title shot in the UFC - a title opportunity which is well overdue in the opinion of many. The number-one contender pairs with Muay Thai expert, Valentina Shevchenko as she attempts to claim Octagon gold and in turn, extend an impressive win-streak to three fights.

The 31-year-old karate practitioner and Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt has cemented her status as title challenger - following two clear-cut wins over Joanne Calderwood and former Invicta FC flyweight best, Jennifer Maia. Speaking with Davidson Baker from the MMA Power Hour, Chookagian spoke of her reluctance to take in the moment come fight night - and her confident nature ahead of her first title bout in the UFC.

"I wouldn't say the (Octagon) walk for me is calming," Chookagian said when asked about the possible calming effect of the pre-fight voyage to the Octagon. "If you've ever seen my walk, I literally sprint to the front, I'm like, I want to get this s**t over with. I just don't like walking and looking. In the back you're like, warming up and you're ready to go and then all of a sudden you're supposed to walk like super calm. This doesn't make sense like I'm pumped up, let's f**king get in there and go. My coaches better warm-up for this one."

When asked about how it finally feels to earn a title opportunity which has eluded her for some time now, the Quakertown native told how it was more-or-less a matter of time before what she had envisioned, came to fruition.

"You know, it's weird it's like, I've always dreamed about and wanted it since even before I was in the UFC and it just feels kind of like, normal. It feels like any other fight. It just feels normal, It just feels like this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm not like, 'Oh my god, I can't believe I'm here fighting for the title,' because this is what I envisioned and where I saw myself for so long, so without sounding cocky, I'm not surprised that I'm here - because this was the path that I saw myself, and everything that I pictured for as far as my career has played out, has happened so far."

Chookagian made the drop to 125-pounds in 2018, winning four times since - and believes if she had elected to remain at the bantamweight limit, a title opportunity would have materialized there also.

"Absolutely. I mean, if that would have been - I feel more comfortable at 125-(pounds) but if they (the UFC) didn't have it, I would have stayed at 135-(pounds). I mean, I fought there and I felt great and I was early on in my career I was also - I'm a lot stronger and a lot better than I was three or four years ago when I was fighting at 135. Yeah, they didn't they open it and I see myself still here. I mean, I think next they're talking about Irene Aldana fighting Amanda Nunes and how great her knockout power is - and I beat her with a throne - I tore my labrum in the first round of that fight and yeah, I beat her. If I would have stayed there I would have adapted some of my training just to maybe build strength a little bit, but I would have myself in this position there as well."

For Chookagian, it's a matchup with one of the most dangerous and consistent mixed-martial-artists to grace the Octagon in recent years - as Valentina Shevchenko looks to continue her dominant reign as flyweight queen, and add the 31-year-old to a flyweight résumé which includes Chookagian's former opponents, Jessica Eye and Liz Carmouche - and former strawweight gold-holder, Joanna Jędrzejczyk.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ross_Markey
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rossmarkeymma/ 

Comments