Holly Holm Open To Rematch With Miesha Tate In The Future: I Always Like To Avenge Losses

Mandatory Credit: Brandon Magnus - Zuffa LLC


With fellow former UFC bantamweight champion, Miesha Tate set to stunning snap a five-year hiatus from the sport, former division titleholder Holly Holm has expressed her interest in a possible rematch with the Washington native in the future -- attempting to avenge a March 2016 loss. 

Forced out of her Octagon return on May 8th. at UFC on ESPN 24, Holm was expected to return for the first time since October of last year in a high-stakes, potential title-eliminator against title hopeful, Julianna Pena. 

The winner of two straight and expected to be rebooked, Holm headlined UFC Fight Island 4 against the surging, Irene Aldana taking an impressive unanimous decision win over the Sinaloa native.

Recently booking her Octagon comeback, former UFC and Strikeforce bantamweight champion, Tate is slated to feature at UFC on ESPN+ 50 on July 17th. -- as she draws the retiring, Marion Reneau. The matchup will as the first on a six-fight deal with the UFC. 

Challenging Albuquerque favourite, Holm for the undisputed bantamweight title at UFC 196 back in March of 2016, Tate managed to finally score the championship at the second time of trying with a rallying, hail-mary fifth-round rear-naked choke win over Holm.

Whilst Tate has an opponent booked for her return from retirement, with the ultimate goal to secure the bantamweight title again, Holm also has aspirations to lift bantamweight spoils for the second time in her career, and noted her willingness to attempt to avenge her loss to Tate sometime in the future. 

"My plan is to compete for the (bantamweight) belt, so if that fight (against Tate) ends up being on the way there, then absolutely," Holm said during a recent live Q&A session with UFC colour commentator and reporter, Laura Sanko. "I always like to avenge losses no matter what, so yes, I would like to do that, but I think sometimes you can get so fixated on one fight that you're not focused on whatever is coming your way."

"Whatever gets you to the belt, that's my ultimate goal and it would be awesome if I could go through and do it all," Holm explained. "Avenge my loss (against Tate), (and) then go to the belt."

Both Holm and Tate have certain plans to reclaim the bantamweight championship in the future, with the latter detailing how she would like to rematch common-foe, current two-weight champion, Amanda Nunes for the championship, following an opening-round rear-naked choke loss to the Brazilian in the main event of UFC 200.

"I'd love to run that one back (against Amanda Nunes)," Tate said. "I would love to fight (her) again because I know I have the style to beat her. I'm not at all gonna take anything away from her. She's a scary woman and she hits like a man. I know that, I've been in there with her and I've seen what she's done since then. But I know I have the style to beat her.(H/T MMA Fighting)

Comments