Jorge Masvidal On Potential Nick Diaz Fight: I'm Here, You Want To Do Right For Your Brother?

Mandatory Credit: Chris Unger - Zuffa LLC


Following his shocking second round knockout loss to Kamaru Usman in his championship rematch at UFC 261 on Saturday night, Jorge Masvidal has explained that while he won't be calling out anybody for his next Octagon outing -- he would be interested in welcoming former Strikeforce and WEC welterweight best, Nick Diaz back to the UFC.

Headlining the Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena event in Jacksonville, Florida, Masvidal challenged Usman for the undisputed welterweight title in a rematch of their July 'Fight Island' showdown. 

Suffering a brutal second round knockout, Masvidal slumped to his second consecutive loss, dropping his first knockout defeat since June of 2008.

In attendance as part of the sold-out crowd; the above-mentioned Stockon fan favourite, Diaz, who appears to be closer than ever to a first Octagon outing in seven years.

Per Diaz's manager, Kevin Mubenga last September, the 37-year-old had taken on a strict training regiment, and partook in a test weight cut to the 170-pound welterweight limit, ahead of a return to the UFC early this year.

Speaking after the event, UFC president, Dana White claimed that Diaz was open to fighting again, and how he was expecting to meet with the Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu standout backstage following UFC 261. While failing to give a name in regards to who Diaz could possibly face in his promotional comeback, the organizational leader claimed that it wouldn't be off the wall to suggest a pairing between Diaz and the surging, undefeated prospect, Khamzat Chimaev.

Off the back of his loss to Usman, Masvidal claimed that if Diaz wanted to avenge his younger brother, Nate Diaz's UFC 244 loss to him back in November of 2019 by the end of this year, he'd be willing to stand opposite him.

"Definitely," Masvidal responded when asked by ESPN MMA reporter, Ariel Helwani if he would be interested in fighting Diaz. "Nick (Diaz) is a stud. If Nick wants to throw down I'm more than willing to throw down. Like I said, I'm going to do it on my time, I'm not taking short notice fights, no matter who it is."

"I'm not going to do that right now," Masvidal explained. "But, if Nick does want to fight towards the end of this year, what can I say -- I'm here. You want to do right for your little brother?"

As for Masvidal, he explained that he could understand why Diaz would maybe like to avenge his younger brother's loss, claiming that if somebody did that to his little brother -- it wouldn't sit well with him either. 

"Let's go. I heard a lot of interviews that he wasn't too keen on what I did to his little brother (Nate)," Masvidal said. "Neither would I. I feel for Nick in that situation. I know what I'd wanna do if somebody did that to my little brother. So, let's go."

Comments