James Gallagher Reveals Shoulder Injury Forced His Removal From Bellator 258 Clash With Patchy Mix

Mandatory Credit: David M. Benett


Slated to meet with one-time Bellator bantamweight title challenger, Patchy Mix in a potential championship eliminator on May 7th. -- streaking Strabane native, James Gallagher has revealed that a torn shoulder had forced his removal from the high-stakes matchup.

Speculation began to mount that the matchup of Mix and Gallagher was in jeopardy, when the former took to his official personal Facebook page on the weekend, claiming "the boy went f*cking running". Confirming Gallagher's removal from the bout, MMA Junkie reporter, Nolan King detailed that according to promotion officials, a replacement for Mix was being sought. 

Taking to his official Instagram account addressing his withdrawal from the event in a lengthy statement, Gallagher revealed he had suffered a shoulder tear, forcing him from the matchup, and how he hoped to score a rescheduling with Mix in the future.

"The sacrifices I've made this (sic) past few months to try make this (fight) happen, the move to the (United) States, the money I've spent on this, dropping everything back home, dealing with personal life issues, missing my mother's birthday," Gallagher wrote. "Not being at home, away out of my comfort zone just to better myself and chase my dream."

"I'm not too sure what to say, I'm absolutely heartbroken. Here is (a) few bullet points on what has been going on. 1. I want to make one thing clear, I have not pulled out of this fight, I have asked for it to be postponed. I have torn my shoulder which has left me unable to train, throw a punch, or grapple. 2. I have spoken to both Bellator and Patchy (Mix), and have been told that he intends to fight on May 7th., this will stop us from fighting until September/October, Bellator do now want this, I do not want this, and most importantly fight fans do not want this."

"3. My goal for this year was to beat Patchy and then aim for a title fight in Dublin this end of this year, if Patchy takes a fight on May 7th., this is virtually impossible," Gallagher said. "4. I have offered to front Patchy my own cash to have him wait for me to get clearance from my doctor's. I expect this (medical clearance) to be in the summer. 5. This is the only fight that makes sense, Patchy needs to beat me to earn his way back into title contention, and I need to beat Patchy before I face the winner of Juan (Archuleta)/Sergio (Pettis)."

"6. For all of you who have said I am running, here is transparency from a fighter you have never seen before," Gallagher said. "And to all of you who have continued to support me, I am always grateful. I'm a bit lost and going to heal myself up (and) recover and get ready for whatever comes my way. I'm devastated. Thank you to everyone who has supported and to my whole team and family. Sorry for letting you's down I've done everything possible."



The winner on four consecutively, Gallagher headlined Bellator Euro Series 9 last October in Milan, Italy -- scoring a dominant, one-sided opening round rear-naked choke win over rival, Cal Ellenor at the fourth time of trying following three prior failed matchups. The victory followed prior wins over Roman Salazar, Jeremiah Labiano, and Steven Graham.

For Mix, the Jackson-Wink MMA staple headlined Bellator 246 last September, tackling Juan Archuleta for the vacant Bellator bantamweight championship, dropping a unanimous decision defeat snapping a thirteen-fight undefeated professional run, and handing him his first blemish under the promotion's banner following three straight wins. 

Comments