Stephen Thompson Wants To 'Slap' The Paul Brothers, Hopes Ben Askren 'Slams' Jake Paul

Mandatory Credit: Josh Hedges - Zuffa LLC


Former two-time UFC welterweight title challenger, Stephen Thompson has claimed that he hopes Ben Askren "slams" Jake Paul this weekend at their Triller promoted boxing match and explained that he wants to "slap" both Jake and his elder brother, Logan Paul.

Thompson, who is riding a two-fight winning streak following his UFC Fight Night Nashville knockout loss to former WEC and UFC lightweight titleholder, Anthony 'Showtime' Pettis back in March of 2019, returns to action on July 10th. at UFC 264.

Featuring at the pay-per-view event, Thompson hopes to earn his third shot at undisputed welterweight gold in his promotional stint, drawing most recent title chaser, Sanford MMA standout, Gilbert Burns. 

Much has been made of this weekend's April 17th. boxing showdown between the 2-0 YouTuber, Paul and former Bellator and ONE Championship welterweight champion, and UFC alum, Askren, who makes his professional boxing debut -- with altering opinions resulting in rumblings across the combat sports world. 

It appears, Simpsonville native, Thompson isn't a fan of the clash, as well as both Jake and Logan Paul -- hoping Askren goes out and slams Jake during this weekend's boxing match.

"I refuse," Thompson responded when asked by MMA Fighting reporter, Mike Heck if he would be tuning in to the boxing match on a recent episode of What The Heck. "I refuse. I refuse to watch that. It is kind of cringe. I think it's kind of cringe. The YouTube people, the people who are just in it for the entertainment -- which, everybody's watching for the entertainment -- but as an athlete, that shouldn't even make sense. That shouldn't even make sense to me."

"I think it would just hurt Ben Askren's legacy," Thompson explained. "I know some other guy, (Jake Paul's) brother, (Logan Paul) tried to get the fight with Floyd (Mayweather Jr.). I think it would just hurt their legacy. As an athlete, I don't think it makes sense, but as entertainment, as a fan of the game, and me being a YouTuber as well, those guys are making moves. The Paul brothers are making moves. So hats off to those guys, but I just want to slap 'em. I want to slap 'em. I do. I hope Ben Askren goes out there -- I know it's boxing -- but picks him up and slams him, gets disqualified, and looks at him and says, 'That's real fighting.'"

Riding a two-fight rise into his potential title-eliminator against Burns, Thompson notched two impressive unanimous decision victories over both Geoff Neal and Vicente Luque at UFC Vegas 17 last December, and UFC 244 in November 2019, respectively. 

Comments