Chris Weidman Set To Undergo Surgery, Confirms Bones Aren't Healing Properly After UFC 261 Leg Fracture

Mandatory Credit: Josh Hedges - Zuffa LLC


Former UFC middleweight champion, Chris Weidman has confirmed that he will undergo another surgical procedure on his right leg following his brutal compound fracture suffered at UFC 261 in April of this year, detailing how the fractures to his right tibia and fibula are not healing correctly.

Rematching upcoming UFC Vegas 33 headliner, Uriah Hall on the main card of UFC 261 at the Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida, former undisputed middleweight champion, Weidman suffered a compound fracture after he saw a leg kick attempt partially checked by Hall just 18-seconds into the opening round of their rematch.

Transported to a medical facility, Weidman underwent what was described as a successful surgical procedure the following Sunday morning, before returning home to his native New York.

Quite surprisingly, Weidman was back on his feet quite soon following the surgical procedure and explained how he had travelled to his gym just 54-days following the injury for some light sparring. The Baldwin native is still undergoing rehabilitation and recovery on his leg but confirmed during a recent appearance on MMA Today with Ryan McKinnell and UFC bantamweight contender, Miesha Tate on Sirius XM that he is set to go under the knife again on August 11. -- detailing how his tibia and fibula are not healing properly. 

"I'm actually getting another surgery, I just found out," Weidman said. "I'm getting another surgery, most likely on August 11. They're going to have to plate the fibula bone because I guess it's considered a non-union so the bones aren't healing the way it's supposed to, which kind of sucks."

"But I did expect setbacks and some issues with this type of traumatic injury," Weidman continued. "I've been through a lot. At the end of the day, I'm a positive person, to begin with. Not that I don't have moments of negativity and just laziness, lack of motivation but I'm usually a glass-half-full type of person. So I think that helps."

Speaking to the "glass-half-full" mindset, Weidman explained how he had taken inspiration from a war veteran he had spoken to on his podcast recently, detailing how he can't complain when the veteran in question has undergone a whopping 104 surgical procedures.

"If I ever feel bad for myself it's very easy to look at someone else who has it worse and realize you have nothing to complain about and you can't feel sorry for yourself," Weidman explained. "The second guest I had on my podcast was a guy named Omar 'Crispy' Avila, he is a war veteran who got blown up by an IED, he lost his leg, he got burned, 75% of his body had third and fourth-degree burns and he had 104 surgeries."

"Now I'm going to he be heading into my 25th. surgery, they just keep coming and I don't want any more surgeries," Weidman said. "I'm done with surgeries. 25 but the other guy has 104, so who am I to complain?" (H/T MMA Fighting)

A former undisputed middleweight champion, Weidman holds two career wins over former division champion, Anderson Silva, as well as victories over former light heavyweight gold holder, Lyoto Machida, Vitor Belfort, Demian Maia, Mark Munoz, and Kelvin Gastelum.

Comments