Conor McGregor Claims He Had Suffered Stress Fractures In Training, UFC 264 Bout Was In Jeopardy

Mandatory Credit: Jeff Bottari - Zuffa LLC


Following a surgical procedure to repair fractures to his left tibia and fibula following an injury sustained at UFC 264 last weekend -- former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion, Conor McGregor has claimed that he had suffered stress fractures to his leg and ankle during his training camp, which the UFC was aware of -- claiming that his headlining bout with Dustin Poirier was momentarily in jeopardy as a result.

McGregor, 33, headlined UFC 264 last weekend at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada -- where he suffered a first round doctor's stoppage loss at the end of the opening round against the Louisianan after he had suffered a gruesome leg fracture at the end of the round. 

Following a three-hour surgical procedure on Sunday morning back in Los Angeles, California -- McGregor saw an intramedullary rod inserted into his left tibia, whilst a small plate and numerous screws were inserted in a bid to stabilize and repair his left fibula. McGregor confirmed that he would spend a period of six weeks in use of a crutch. 

Posting an update on his official Instagram account this evening following his discharging from the medical facility, the Crumlin native claimed that he had suffered stress fractures to his leg during sparring ahead of the trilogy bout with Poirier, but continued to train without shin pads and that the clash was in jeopardy.

"The leg is better than ever," McGregor said. "I was injured going into the fight. People are asking me, 'When was the leg broke? At what point did the leg break?' Ask Dana White, ask the UFC, ask Dr. Davidson, the head doctor of the UFC. They knew I had stress fractures in my leg going into that cage."

"There was debate about pulling the thing out because I was sparring without shin pads and I would kick the knee a few times," McGregor continued. "So I had multiple stress fractures in the shin bone above the ankle and then I have trouble with the ankle anyway throughout the years of f*cking fighting all the time. And I also was wrapping my ankle every training session."

The former featherweight and lightweight champion explained how without the fact that he suffered fractures to his tibia and fibula against Poirier, he would likely have elected against addressing injuries in his leg suffered earlier in his career.

"I needed to get treatment on my leg," McGregor revealed. "I needed to get treatment on the ankle and I needed to get treatment on my shin bone and I would have never committed to going under the knife unless something like this had happened. So something like this has happened, I'm going in and getting exactly what I needed and what I needed was a titanium shin bone. So now I've got a titanium rod down the knee, from the knee to me (sic) ankle and the doctor said it's unbreakable."

"Then I'll start playing with the balance, learning how to stand on it again," McGregor explained. "Learning how to balance on the single leg again. Then I'll build the strength (back up). Then I've got an unbreakable titanium leg. I was talking to my physical therapist who was with Arnold Schwarzenegger and I was like, 'I'm like Arnie in Terminator 2.'" (H/T MMA Fighting)

Per Xtreme Couture head coach, Erik Nicksick, it appears McGregor suffered what appears to be the fight altering injury with just 10-seconds remaining in the opening round, when he attempted to land a back-leg teep kick to Poirier's mid-section -- with his left ankle clashing with a shelling Poirier's right elbow. 

Upon his step back to the Octagon canvas, it appeared as if McGregor's leg was entirely unstable before a left hand shot missed, and when he returned his weight back on his left foot again -- his leg entirely collapsed beneath him, resulting in the fracture. 

In the early goings of the first frame, McGregor incorporated a hugely kick-heavy approach against the American Top Team mainstay, spinning on three occasions with spinning back kicks to the body, stabbing teep kicks to the midsections, and kicks to Poirier's right thigh from his left leg. 

Comments