Daniel Cormier Closes Door On Comeback, Officially Announces Retirement From MMA

Mandatory Credit: Esther Lin - MMA Fighting

Former two-weight world champion, Daniel 'DC' Cormier has closed the chapter on his life as a professional mixed martial artist. The Lafayette native has officially announced his retirement from the sport, following his August 15th. unanimous decision defeat to Stipe Miocic in the pair's rubber match.

Cormier, 41, spoke on his ESPN show, DC & Helwani this afternoon, where he announced his retirement, citing his intentions to remove himself from the USADA testing pool when prompted by the aforenoted, Ariel Helwani.

"I'm not going to fight anymore," Cormier explained. "I was talking to Joe Rogan after the fight, and I told him my interest is fighting for championships, and I can't imagine with a loss that I'd be fighting for a belt again. I lost two fights in a row for the first time in my career. You've got to understand when it's time, and the reality is part of the reason I got hit with that right hand by Stipe (Miocic) is because I'm older. You can't fight father time."

Cormier would go on to explain how he believes he could still defeat Miocic again but cited that time is slipping away with his competitive ability, forcing his hand in retirement.

"At 41-years-old, I fought the heavyweight champion of the world, three rounds to two with the idea that I wanted to win," Cormier said. "I didn't go in there trying to give a good account of myself. I wanted to win the fight and I still believe I can beat Stipe Miocic. But every day that passes, it doesn't work in my favour."

While Cormier had spoken on multiple occasions ahead of the fight about his intentions to hang up his gloves, his decision to not leave his gloves in the Octagon after the headliner, brought about speculation regarding his future in the sport. According to Cormier - he wasn't keen on stealing retaining champion Miocic's moment after the bout.

"I lost the fight, that's Stipe's moment," Cormier told. "He's the champ. Why would I do that? Because a guy like me retires in the Octagon there, that's what people talk about. In the standing in the world, there's a difference between Stipe and I. If I'm in there and I take my gloves off, it's almost like stealing his thunder. I wasn't going to do that. He won the fight."

With the closing of this chapter, Cormier admitted he'll miss the usual fight week festivities and preparations, - but remained firm that his decision to stop fighting, isn't necessarily an upsetting one.

"I feel like I'm closing the door shut on this thing - it's over," Cormier said. "And, I'm not sad about it. I'm not sad. I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss training camps. I'm going to miss the fights. There's nothing like a fight week, but you have to understand when it's your time. I feel like it's time." (H/T MMA Fighting

The American Kickboxing Academy staple and former Olympian leaves a phenomenal résumé and legacy in the Octagon, and during his days under the Strikeforce banner. The veteran has achieved UFC light heavyweight and heavyweight gold, as well as a Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix back in 2012.

In career highlight wins, Cormier has beaten the aforenoted, Miocic, as well as lodging wins over Derrick Lewis, Volkan Oezdemir, Alexander Gustafsson, Anthony Johnson (x2), Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva, Frank Mir, Josh Barnett, and 'Bigfoot' Silva, to name a few. From twenty-six professional matches, Cormier has amassed a 22-3 record.


Comments