Exclusive: Gillian Robertson Floats Idea of Fights Against Antonina Shevchenko and Montana De La Rosa

Mandatory Credit: Esther Lin - MMA Fighting

Flyweight division prospect, Gillian 'The Savage' Robertson has some top-fifteen plans following her return to the winner's enclosure against Cortney 'Cast Iron' Casey two weeks ago in Las Vegas. Before the year is out, the Canadian upstart has floated the idea of matchups against Antonina 'El Pantera' Shevchenko, and fellow prospect, Montana 'Monty' De La Rosa.

The Ontario native returned from her first defeat under the UFC banner - losing a first-round knockout to rising challenger, Maycee Barber - to submit veteran contender, Casey at UFC Fight Night Las Vegas on June 20th. The victory marked the 25-year-old's fifth since her organizational bow back in December of 2017, and the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt's six submission success.

Speaking with Colin Crandall from the MMA Power Hour - the Din Thomas trainee gauged the interest of a potential pairing between herself, and top-fifteen ranked contenders, Shevchenko, and De La Rosa. 

"So, Din (Thomas) and I were looking up the rankings the other day, and I believe #15 is Molly McCann, so it's like - I already fought her so we're not really interested in that one," Robertson said. "#14 is Ji Yeon Kim and she's got a matchup, so there's #12 and #13 and they're both available, and they're both matchups I'd love to be in - they're both girls I'd love to see across the cage from me, which would be, Antonina Shevchenko, and Montana De La Rosa."

A pairing with Shevchenko would mark the Kyrgyzstan native's first since her high-profile defeat to one-time title tilter, Katlyn Chookagian at UFC Fight Night Vegas at the end of May. Montana born contender, De La Rosa, on the other hand - earned her #12 rank at 125-pounds, via a unanimous decision judging against Mara Romero Borella at UFC Fight Night Rio Rancho in February.

Although a title opportunity isn't a distinct possibility for Robertson off the back of her final-minute rear-naked choke win over the aforenoted, Casey - the grappling threat envisions a title challenge within the next two years.

"I definitely feel like that's coming up (title shot) in the near future," Robertson explained. "I don't necessarily think we're around the corner from it. I'd say at least, five fights and then I can start looking at a title shot, but I definitely think within - let's say a year and a half, two years. I'm going to see Valentina (Shevchenko) across the cage from me."




Comments