Gabi Garcia "Proud" Of Friend Cris Cyborg's Bellator Title Triumph

Photo Credit: Cris Cyborg 
Gabi Garcia (center) alongside Cris Cyborg (left) and boxing world champion, Claressa Shields (right).

Brazilian mixed-martial-arts icon, Cris Cyborg made history last weekend at Bellator MMA 238, as she became the first professional mixed-martial-artists to hold world championships, in four separate, major organizations. The Curitiba native added the Bellator MMA featherweight title to her UFC, Invicta FC, and Strikeforce gold-laden display cabinet, after a dominant final-round knockout of Julia Budd. A spectator on that historic evening in California - undefeated heavyweight grappling maestro, Gabi Garcia.

Garcia, who is currently under contract with Japan-based promotion, RIZIN Fighting Federation - is undefeated since her transition to mixed-martial-arts in 2015, holding a professional record of 6-0-(1). The 34-year-old is also one of the most decorated Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to cross over sports, and under the tutelage of the renowned Fabio Gurgel, is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt and an astonishing, nine-time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championship gold medalist.

The Porto Alegre native is also close friends with compatriot Cyborg, and in an interview with Colin Crandall from the MMA Power Hour on FITE TV, spoke of her admiration for the Muay Thai expert and how proud she was seeing Cyborg make history.

Garcia also told how Cyborg's move to Bellator MMA and reuniting with promotion leader, Scott Coker, has made her much happier compared to her days with the UFC banner.

"For me, this is our job but we need to do it with love," Garcia said. "Cris said before of like, her bullying in the UFC and it's another opportunity for her, it's good money for her, but I have a good relationship with Scott Coker, he's a super nice guy with everyone, you know. He's a good promoter, like Bellator is blowing-up like super fast and I think she's happy right now because of this relationship and she needs to show everybody MMA, not just UFC (sic) (there's more to MMA than just the UFC). I think this the goal for her, and I think she's happy. I see in her eyes and in her camp. Like, before I started watching the fight, I was like, this is Cris Cyborg, this is the real Cris Cyborg. I think she's happy right now yes. Scott and all the Bellator family are doing all the support for her (sic). 

"Cris (Cyborg) is my friend, you know like, she's one of my best friends. She's helped me a lot here in the United States when I was moving. All the fights like, when i watch her fight I'm move nervous in her fights, than my fights. But for this fight like, Cris (sic) happy, you know? I know her, I know she trains a lot and she's training more than anybody, and she's happy. I know she had pressure in the first round (against Budd), she won the fight. This happens, but Julia Budd, is a tough girl you know, she's very good. It was a very good fight. I'm super happy for Cris she deserves it. She's won like four belts in four different shows, this is like amazing, you know. I'm super proud of her."

When asked on her thoughts about a potential cross-promotion rematch between UFC featherweight and bantamweight champion, Amanda Nunes, and Cyborg, Garcia remained coy on the subject and had some kind words for compatriot, Nunes.

"I'm Brazilian, you know like. And, when I post my comments people think I'm disrespect (sic) but, no. Amanda (Nunes) is now is like, the top one, she's like very good - very good athlete, she proved this, but for me, Cris had like 99% for this one fight, and Amanda had 1% for this one fight, and you know, this happens. Amanda won the fight, but I don't think this fight happens more (sic), in my opinion. If happens (sic) Cris Cyborg she's like, different, she trains more and she's super dedicated. I think in the first fight she's more emotional than in other fights. She's like into it (emotionally) in this fight and it's not good for her, she's not happy in the UFC. It happens, she lost the fight. After this, a lot of drama about the rematch and it happens, you know. I think if this fight happens again, Amanda don't (sic) have a chance, you know, in my opinion. In my opinion, Cris is like the best MMA fighter in the world - she lost to Amanda Nunes but in my opinion, she's number one."

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ross_Markey
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rossmarkeymma/ 





Comments

Popular Posts This Week!