Max Griffin "Beyond Pumped" To Fight Cowboy Oliveira At UFC 248

Photo Credit: Jason Silva - USA TODAY Sports
Both Max Griffin and Alex Oliveira will attempt to return to the winner's enclosure at UFC 248.

UFC welterweight contender, Max 'Pain' Griffin returns at UFC 248 in March - and along with his return to active-competition, it seems a return of motivation will follow in tow.

The 34-year-old takes on the experienced Brazilian, Alex 'Cowboy' Oliveira as both 170-pound challengers attempt to return to the win column after decision defeat in their most recent Octagon appearances. The Califonia native dropped a unanimous decision defeat to Alex Morono, after a victory over Zadim Imadeav, while Rio de Janeiro born Oliveira, has dropped three straight losses to Gunnar Nelson, Mike Perry, and most recently at UFC Fight Night Copenhagen, lost a close decision to the returning, former Cage Warriors interim and undisputed welterweight best, Nicolas Dalby.

Speaking with Colin Crandall from the MMA Power Hour, on FITE TV, Griffin spoke of a reinvigorated approach, which had been lacking due to his most recent Octagon opposition.

"Yeah, you know, we're all kind of on the - a long time ago I remember Mike Perry was gonna fight Yancy Medeiros, or (Alex) Oliveira, and we're all kinda in that same mix," Griffin said when asked by Crandall if Oliveira was a name on his radar. "I thought I may have fought him last year but, he kinda fell off. When we heard about this fight, I was pumped, beyond pumped. You know, my past two fights, I fought that Russian, Zadim (Imadeav), and you know, even Alex Morono, I wasn't too thrilled about my opponents. But this fight - really excited, really got me out of bed. Not to say that I don't train when it's a different guy. But, after fighting Thiago Alves, man, I mean, these are the best guys in the world, right? Legends. And then I fight some newcomer guys. I'm ready to go, man, I fought the best of them, and I'm really excited to fight a wild, wild guy like 'Cowboy'.

It seems Alex Oliveira is an opponent which has caught the attention of the Santa Barbara born Griffin earlier in his career, with the wrestler turned finisher, noting how he expected to match up with his fellow knockout artist, having traversed similar circles, and opponents in the form of the previously mentioned, 'Platinum' Mike Perry.

Griffin also told how he's aware of the importance of this fight - not just for himself, but for Oliveira, as the Brazilian attempts to avoid a what could prove to be detrimental, fourth straight Octagon defeat.

"I'm prepared. I'm prepared for everything," Griffin said. "But I'm coming, I'm coming in hot, man. I'm coming hot. Imma (sic) pressure him, Imma (sic) use my strengths, man. I mean, I used to just be a striker, but then when you accidentally, get the second most takedowns in the UFC in 2019 - I mean like, that was an accident. I'm by no means, trying to take everybody down. Then I had the seventh most strikes in the clinch, clinch strikes, significant clinch strikes."

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ross_Markey
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rossmarkeymma/ 




Comments