Sergio Pettis Targets Bantamweight Tenure Ahead Of Bellator Bow

Photo Credit: Orlando Ramirez - USA TODAY Sports
Sergio Pettis will make his first walk under the Bellator banner this weekend.

Roufusport mainstay, Sergio Pettis has competed at both bantamweight and flyweight during his professional mixed-martial-arts career - and ahead of his promotional debut at Bellator 238 this weekend in California, the former UFC top-contender is planning a prolonged stay at 135-pounds.

The Milwaukee native, is, of course, the younger brother of former UFC and WEC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis - and with the move to Scott Coker's Bellator MMA, hopes to emerge from 'Showtime{s}' shadow. Winning just two of his last five Octagon appearances, Pettis makes his first walk under the Bellator banner against Alfred Khashakyan on Saturday - and in an exclusive interview with Colin Crandall, from MMA Power Hour, the 26-year-old revealed how he remains intent on continuing at bantamweight.

"As of right now yeah, man (the prospect of staying at bantamweight)," Pettis said. "I think bantamweight is where I feel comfortable, I was fighting at flyweight but, the older I'm getting the weight cut is getting a little bit tougher. I think my body's starting to adjust to the bantamweight division."

Pettis joins the bantamweight ranks of Bellator - bringing a significant audience along with him. Over the course of his fourteen fight stint with the UFC, Pettis has clashed with former flyweight, and current bantamweight champion, Henry Cejudo, three-time flyweight title challenger, Joseph Benavidez, and top contenders, Jussier Formiga, and Brandon Moreno. The possible pressure brought about by his significant name and billing is something Pettis welcomes.

"I feel happy, man. I'm glad I have people recognizing my work. I'm only 26-year's-old and I got a lot more time to grow, so I'm excited to go out there and show the fans what I got and what I can do. I feel he (Alfred Khashakyan) measures up very similarly to my past opponents. All the guys that I've fought have tried to come at me and knock me out, you know? I'm a little pretty-faced boy so I think they're going out there trying to over-power me and over-skill me, but I've been around for a while, man. I'm only twenty-six but I've been in this sport since I was eighteen, professionally fighting."

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ross_Markey
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/markeymartialarts/?hl=en

Comments

Popular Posts This Week!