Exclusive: Macy Chiasson teases move back to featherweight

Mandatory Credit: Mike Roach - Zuffa LLC

UFC bantamweight prospect, Macy Chiasson, has hinted at a potential return to the division which kicked-off her Octagon journey back in late 2018. The Louisiana native, currently ranked #12 at bantamweight - went all the way in The Ultimate Fighter season twenty-five, winning the entire tournament. In a finale triumph, Chiasson finished Pianne Kianzad with a second-round rear-naked choke.

Immediately after the victory, Chiasson made the move to 135-pounds - where she's maintained an eye-catching success rate. She followed up her finish of Sweden's Kianzad, with two consecutive stoppages of Gina Mazany, and Sarah Moras. In her one and only career defeat, Chiasson, in Denmark, dropped a unanimous decision to Lina Lӓnsberg. Returning to the win column in February, Chiasson made the trip to Rio Rancho in New Mexico - lodging a decision shutout against Shanna Young.

Despite returning to the winner's enclosure against Young - Chiasson has hinted at a possible return to 145-pounds in the not so distant future. Speaking with Colin Crandall on the MMA Power Hour, Chiasson remained coy on the potential jump in division, and a potential future opponent - refusing to elaborate on a "call" she had received in recent days.

"As of right now, I don't really have anyone in mind," Chiasson explained. "I don't want to go into it too much but we kinda got - not like a call, but we discussed something a few days ago, about possibly going up in weight. I've told this in a few interviews like I'm not opposed to going up to forthy-five (145-pounds) I just wasn't ready to go back up just yet. We were so stuck on being at 135(-pounds) and that's not an easy weight to make for me. It has gotten easier, but if I wanted to go back up to forthy-five (145-pounds), there's a lot of stuff I would have to change, and it takes a longer time for me to get down to thirty-five (135-pounds) when I do fight there."

"I would wanna bulk up a little bit, put on some more muscle, you know, I run a lot right now. When I'm fully training, I'll run, maybe a little bit over thirty miles a week," Chiasson revealed. "I'll do a long-distance run maybe twice a week, right now it's not nearly as much - probably about twenty (miles). It's just kind of a different realm. I do feel very strong and powerful at 145(-pounds) and I look at me at 135(-pounds) - and I do feel strong, it's me at my peak performance. I have to make sure everything is perfect when I fight at 135(-pounds). I think that now that we're down the line, I would love to move up and down."

Chiasson, who stands at 5 ft 9 in, would bring some more stature to the featherweight division - as well as some much-needed competition. As of writing, the promotion hosts just eight competitors who've featured at featherweight before. Champion, Amanda Nunes, perennial contenders, Felicia Spencer, and Megan Anderson. Inaugural division champion, Germaine de Randamie. Former bantamweight champion, Holly Holm. Recent signees, Zarah Frain Dos Santos, and Norma Dumont Viana, As well as Chiasson's former opponent, Leah Letson. Nunes has already trumped both de Randamie (x2), and Holm under the UFC's banner.


Comments