Amanda Nunes Flirts With Potential Retirement

Mandatory Credit: Jeff Bottari - Zuffa LLC 

UFC two-weight world champion, Amanda 'The Lioness' Nunes has once more juggled the notion of walking away from the sport - fresh from her dominant UFC 250 featherweight title defence, opposite Felicia 'Feenom' Spencer.

The victory marked the Bahia native's eleventh consecutive victory, and eighth straight victory in a UFC title bout. With records like that - it seems neither featherweight nor bantamweight has an awful lot to offer Nunes going forward.

The American Top Team staple has long reigned as the undeniable greatest female mixed martial artists in the sport's antiquity, nabbing wins over the likes of Cris Cyborg, Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Holly Holm, Valentina Shevchenko (x2), Germaine de Randamie (x2), and Julia Budd, to name a few.

UFC president, Dana White has made clear intentions against making a trilogy bout between Nunes and current flyweight best, Shevchenko in the future, detailing how a move from strawweight champion, Zhang Weili to 125-pounds to clash with Shevchenko - is the more likely matchmaking option of the two.

Nunes, who turned 32-years-old the week prior to her demolition of former Invicta FC best, Spencer, has once more flirted with the idea of hanging up her gloves, explaining to Brazilian programme, Esport Espetacular - "I've achieved everything I wanted".

"Ah, I don't know, I've achieved everything I wanted," Nunes revealed. "I'm well, I can go on with my life, maybe a new step, maybe find new talents, help some girls there - maybe be a coach too. I'm in a moment that I can retire, you know, and I'm in a moment that I can fight. I'm fine. There's nothing else to be done right now in the division. The Hall of Fame will come, for sure. My life going forward, if I do stop now, the UFC will give me every support I need to continue having my money and work."

Nunes and her partner, current UFC strawweight contender, Nina Ansaroff are expecting the birth of their first child, Raegan Ann Nunes in September, with the Brazilian expected to take the rest of the year off as a result.

A well-deserved break for Nunes would also allow the growth of the bantamweight ranks. In coming weeks, perennial bantamweight contender, Aspen Ladd attempts to earn a shot at the title, as she tackles former championship challenger, Olympian, Sara McMann. On August 1st. former titleholder, Holm will attempt to possibly earn another crack at UFC gold, as she meets with fellow title hopeful, Irene Aldana in a main event slot.












Comments