Exclusive: Patchy Mix "Gunning" for Vacant Title Fight With Juan Archuleta

Mandatory Credit: Bellator MMA 

Arguably one of the most exciting prospects in mixed martial arts today, undefeated Bellator MMA bantamweight challenger, Patchy 'No Love' Mix has his sights firmly set on a former title challenger, as he attempts to move to 14-0 as a professional, and secure the vacant bantamweight crown.

The Jackson-Wink MMA and WNY MMA & Fitness trainee made the transition to Bellator back in June of last year, and still managed to squeeze in three bouts, from which he secured three victories. The former KOTC bantamweight best debuted with a statement win over American Top Team product Ricky Bandejas, submitting the sharp striker just a single minute into their opening frame.

After a cancelled pairing with Dominic Mazzotta. Mix managed to wrap up a rare Suloev stretch over the late, Isiah Chapman in October, before meeting Yuki Motoya on the co-promoted Bellator vs. RIZIN FF New Year's Eve card. In yet another first-round submission, the 26-year-old wrapped up a guillotine victory.

In a bantamweight division currently without a titleholder after Kyoji Horiguchi was forced to vacate through injury - the pack which follows presents some of the most well-rounded, dangerous challengers currently on the Bellator books. Mix features amongst the likes of Leandro Higo, rivals Cal Ellenor and James Gallagher, Brian Moore, UFC alumnus, Sergio Pettis, and Erik Perez, as well as recent featherweight title hopeful, Juan Archuleta.

Speaking with Colin Crandall from the MMA Power Hour recently, Mix explained how he was "gunning" for a pairing with Archuleta in his next outing - following his decision to put pen to paper on a new multi-fight deal with the promotion in the early stages of this year.

"Well basically, man, since we've had this little COVID situation, I've been looking at the division, and there's a lot of guys here at the top," Mix told. "I think, Sergio (Pettis), Juan (Archuleta), myself, (James) Gallagher, (Ricky) Bandejas, and I've fought some of the best guys - but I'm looking at trying to take down Juan Archuleta next. He's the guy I'm gunning for, he's the guy I'm scouting, so, that's my next victim."

A matchup with the 32-year-old contender, Archuleta could possibly spell a return to the division for the Californian, After his title challenger loss to Patricio Pitbull. Archuleta returned to the win column with a unanimous decision shutout against Henry Corrales in January.

In terms of how the two could potentially matchup on paper, Mix believes his fighting style doesn't necessarily cater to Archuleta's - as he imagines success wherever the potential pairing takes place.

"He's been facing a lot of guys, I feel like he has a good competition - guys that were really geared towards him, good matchups, and I just think I'm a horrible matchup for him," Mix stated. "I think I could strike with him, I think I can out-wrestle him, and I can out-grapple him. I'm trying to beat him in all areas. I feel like the way he fights guys - he shoots in on them, he does that to me, you know, he's going to be in a world of trouble."

Mix further explained how he believed he should be involved in the next bantamweight title bout - opposite Archuleta.

"Listen, I'm #1 in the division right now," Mix said. "I came in the division, I took out Ricky Bandejas, he was supposed to be top-three - I beat him in a minute. Then my next fight, I beat that guy, Isiah Chapman, I hit the first Suloev stretch on him, I beat him in the first round as well. Then, I beat another top-five from the Japanese roster from RIZIN, you know, that guy's (Yuki Motoya) fought for many world titles over there as well. He was a two-division world champion in the Deep promotion out there, so I'm the top of the division right now."

"It should be - I'm not waiting on no more fights," Mix explained. "It should be me and Archuleta for the belt next, you know. We both have the records, we both, you know, done the body of work, it's gonna be - it should be me and him to see whos the best bantamweight on the roster. I plan on proving it to everybody."










1 hour 15 minutes

q

Comments